Categories

Blogs I Read

Pages

Meta

Feeds

Unlocking The Cingular EDGE Card in the Sony UX180P

July 23rd, 2006 byPhilip Nicosia

Unlocking the Cingular Edge card in the Sony UX180P is actually an easy task. All you need do is make a note of the IMEI number, call Sony Support at 888-476-6972 (United States) or 239-768-7676 (International). They will give you an unlock code and you then need to the Sim unlock procedure.

Follow this procedure to unlock the Sony Ericsson EDGE module after obtaining the SIM unlock code. This involves connecting to the card using HyperTerminal, entering a few commands and your unlcok code and that’s it. They even provide instructions on the internet to do this.

Some things they don’t tell you (or at least I couldn’t see) in the specifications is what networks the Edge card will work on. When I unlocked mine and placed a new sim card inside there is an option to choose a network. All I got in the UK was Orange and T-Mobile which both work on the 1800 frequency. Vodafone and O2 were not available and they use the 900 frequency in the UK. I must admit I hadn’t even considered there could be a problem here but luckily I use T-Mobile anyway.

I don’t really know how this EDGE or 3G data works to be honest and whether different networks are using different frequencies for their services.

What you can do though is if EDGE is not available in your area use the GPRS network or even dial up (very slow) to get a connection.

Related Posts

• Sony UX280P – Unlocking
  • Using T-Mobile on a Sony UX180P
  • First Thoughts About My Sony UX180P
  • Orange Unlimited Internet Access for 1 pound per day
  • T-Mobile Unlimited Internet Browsing for 1 pound a day

• 11 Comments Add your own

• 1. Rupert Mills  |  September 16th, 2006 at 2:59 pm

Hi, so did you actually get the UX180 working with TMobile? If so, did you use the Cingular dialup software or create another dialup connection through dial up networking? It’s driving me nuts :)

Any helpful advice greatfully recieved….

Rupert

• 2. Philip Nicosia  |  September 16th, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Yes I have had it working with T-Mobile using the Cingular Connection Manager.

Please see my post Using T-Mobile on a Sony UX180P.

• 3. Philip Nicosia » Us&hellip  |  September 17th, 2006 at 10:56 am

[...] Someone asked me if I had managed to get T-Mobile working on My Sony UX180P once I had got it unlocked from Cingular. [...]

• 4. Dan Steuber  |  October 19th, 2006 at 10:19 pm

Alright cool, but I’m in Kuwait and have a data SIM card I use in my aircard for my other laptop. Will that data SIM (Wataniya) work in this? Its EDGE.

• 5. Philip Nicosia  |  October 20th, 2006 at 12:45 am

I don’t know if it would work with Wantaniya. It would depend on what frequency they transmit on.

I use mine on T-Mobile in the UK and they use the 1800MHz frequency.

• 6. Allanuk  |  January 26th, 2007 at 6:57 pm

How do u find out the imei number of the cingular edge card ?

• 7. Philip Nicosia  |  January 27th, 2007 at 2:51 pm

The easiest way is to look at the label on the box the computer came with as it will be recorded there. If you don’t have the box anymore you can do the following:

1. From within the Cingular® Connection Manager (CCM) software, on the menu bar, click Tools.

2. On the Tools menu, click Network Info.

3. In the Diagnostics window, on the Device tab, in the Device information box, record the number next to IMEI#, IMSI#, or Phone Number.

4. Click the OK button.

• 8. Philip Nicosia » So&hellip  |  January 27th, 2007 at 3:12 pm

[...] Unlocking The Cingular EDGE Card in the Sony UX180P [...]

• 9. Allanuk  |  February 5th, 2007 at 6:18 am

U are a life saver !! I bought the ux28op when i was visiting the states a month ago, great piece of kit, BUT i had big trouble getting it to connect to my t-mobile data sim :( until i came across your web page and found out it was sim locked !! I phone sony international number and they totally blanked me and gave me a lecture about it was not forsale outside the USA and i could only have the unlock code if i could prove i was a USA citizen, Feeling peeved off i phone sony USA and gave them a story that i was working in the USA for the last 5 months and now my job had taken me to europe for 3 months and i need to use another mobile carrier…and to my total shock they gave the code straight away no questions or anything !! So now i`m running on t-mobile data without a problem..thanks again ! Allan

• 10. AJ  |  February 12th, 2007 at 2:47 pm

What a life saver, I hae a 280P and was knocking my head last night trying to get my t-mobile SIM working. Then I found this this morning. Off to do what you advise. Thanks for your essential info on your blog!

• 11. JORDAN  |  March 9th, 2008 at 10:23 am

Hi Iam located in Australia dose anyone know if this method will work on the vodafone network

Thanks