Categories

Blogs I Read

Pages

Meta

Feeds

Using Your Own Router on Sky Broadband

September 28th, 2006 byPhilip Nicosia

When you log into your Sky broadband Netgear router you will see that there are no fields for username and password. These are hidden I guess so you can’t change them and use the router on another suppliers broadband.

It also means that without your username and password you can’t use your own router instead of the Sky Netgear router to connect to their service.

Well someone over at Skyuser.co.uk, a forum setup for Sky broadband routers independently of sky has figured out a way to get your username and password from your Sky Netgear router.

It has been confirmed on the forum that users have managed to connect to Sky with their own routers using the username and password obtained from the Sky Netgear router and users have also used their Sky router to connect to another provider.

It is worth remembering though that strictly speaking if you use a router other than the Sky provided Netgear router then you are breaking their Terms & Conditions.

Related Posts

• Sky Broadband Username and Password
  • 6 Days To Go
  • Sky Broadband Connected
  • Sky Broadband’s Netgear Router Problems?
  • Linksys WAG54S Won’t Reconnect

• 10 Comments Add your own

• 1. Jon  |  September 28th, 2006 at 3:10 pm

You say “Strictly speaking if you use a router other than the Sky provided Netgear router then you are breaking their Terms & Conditions.”

Is this really enforceable though? TalkTalk originally insisted that you can only connect with their modem which you had to pay for. Somewhere along the line that stipulation was dropped, in favour of ‘if you use another modem, we can’t give you technical support’!

• 2. Philip Nicosia  |  September 28th, 2006 at 4:53 pm

You make a good point. How is it enforceable? I have to laugh when you mention TalkTalk and technical support!

• 3. newsreader  |  October 1st, 2006 at 5:53 pm

Your username is the mac code of your box @skydsl and your password is a hex code. For instructions on how to do this go here. (It looks like this page has been taken down now)

the link has been put back up now :-)

• 4. Philip Nicosia  |  October 3rd, 2006 at 10:48 am

There is an easier way now to find out your Sky Username and password which you can see here

• 5. Jake  |  November 27th, 2007 at 7:27 pm

I flashed my sky router,got the password ect
      But can’t get my other netgear router to work???
      any ideas what im doing wrong??

• 6. adam walley  |  March 2nd, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Hi all.
      I am wanting to use a new Netgear router, I have spent hours finding out the username and password but now when i put those details into the set up wizard it stil wont connect.
      any other hint or tips?

Cheers

• 7. John Taylor  |  January 6th, 2010 at 7:44 pm

My neighbour had a problem with their Sky router (Sagem). I couldn’t get access to the settings to find username / password so your link above was fantastically useful. I was able to set up a replacement router which is working fine. many thanks, john

• 8. Angela McDowell  |  March 21st, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I am with sky and have been for 3 years. In that time I have had 3 Sagem routers supplied by sky, they keep blowing on me. Im waitng on another which will take a week:( I have borrowed a netgear WTG624v3 as a tempoary messure. What a nightmare, I have unplugged the sagem and connected the netgear, connected the ethernet to my laptop andthe netgear wizard comes up. I can even see our ipods (and they are picking up the netgear) and my laptop on there but no connection to internet?? The internet light wont come on but the rest will, i feel like im cracking up!!

• 9. jimi  |  May 2nd, 2011 at 7:32 pm

when we got sky broadband a few years ago we had problems with the crap router they supply but a friend of mine did something and we use our old much better netgear one, your not supposed to do this as its against contract or something, but can be done and im guessing easily as it took him like 5 minuits

• 10. sam  |  June 11th, 2011 at 12:48 pm

hi, ive just moved into a house where the landlord is paying for sky tv broadband and phoneline this is all included in the rent. trouble is we havent got a sky router, i have a talk talk issued one and was wondering if there was anyway i could connect using this, it asks for a user name and password but i dont have this. cheers