Categories

Blogs I Read

Pages

Meta

Feeds

How to fix Apple Mighty Mouse Scroll Wheel Problems

October 18th, 2007 byPhilip Nicosia

I got an Apple Bluetooth Mighty Mouse last Christmas and a few weeks ago I started having problems with the scroll wheel. The scroll wheel stopped working properly in that I could scroll down but not up.

Anyway, I eventually took it down to my local Apple Authorized service centre expecting it to be sent away but the engineer fixed it in a matter of 30 seconds.

All he did was get a blank piece of white photo-copying paper, turned the mouse upside down and vigorously rubbed the scroll wheel across the paper up and down and from side to side for about 30 seconds.

End result. 1 fixed Apple Mighty Mouse.

So if you have problems with you mighty mouse and it won’t scroll anymore give it a try. Beats sending it away any day.

Related Posts

• iPhone Released Tomorrow
  • Is Recycling Worth the Risk?
  • Webcam Back Up
  • Greenpeace -Get a life!
  • Early Christmas Present from Google

• 94 Comments Add your own

• 1. happy  |  November 12th, 2007 at 3:49 am

This worked. Thanks for sharing solution!

• 2. Sunny  |  November 26th, 2007 at 3:32 pm

Thank you. My mouse is alive again. :)

• 3. Ian Fenn  |  February 8th, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Thanks. You just solved my mouse issue for me – it could scroll up but not down. All is well now!

• 4. Frank  |  February 15th, 2008 at 10:05 am

Thanks, worked like a charm! saves me the 40 mile trip to the nerest apple store ;)

• 5. Joel Smith  |  May 16th, 2008 at 12:21 am

THANK YOU! This has been bugging me for ages, and now my mouse finally works again.

• 6. Bobby  |  June 5th, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Yey worked for me too. Cheers mate

• 7. Malcolm McDonald  |  June 27th, 2008 at 11:06 am

Thanks for information about this solution.Was getting ready to send mouse back and now it works perfectly.

• 8. Lindsay  |  July 5th, 2008 at 1:01 am

AHHH! What an easy fix! I haven’t had this mouse long and I was a bit disappointed when the roller stopped working downward. Apple doesn’t make a bad product, so I knew there had to be an easy fix. THANK YOU!!

• 9. erwin mayer  |  July 9th, 2008 at 12:00 am

oh my god…. best tip ever!!!! i was about to cry since i just got a new computer a few weeks ago and already the scroll started failing.

• 10. danny s  |  July 20th, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Brilliant, my mouse is working again! Can’t believe I lived with the (really annoying) problem for over a month. Thanks.

• 11. Thomas Wichern  |  July 21st, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Yes, it did it!
      Thanks!

• 12. primalmotion  |  August 19th, 2008 at 5:51 pm

man, i love you

• 13. Henry  |  August 24th, 2008 at 12:16 am

Beautiful solution. Worked like a charm for me!

• 14. Jessica  |  August 29th, 2008 at 1:30 pm

thanks :) but we’ll see how long this perfect scrolling lasts until I have to do that again…argh mighty mouse

• 15. nigel  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 1:30 pm

BRILLIANT !!! Started by taking my mouse back to the Waitrose store where I bought my iMac. They said I would need to take it to one of the nearest Apple dealers – a long way from home (minimum 80 mile round trip). This solution solved the problem straight away.Thank you.

• 16. Catherine  |  September 30th, 2008 at 12:21 pm

FAB!!!! Didn’t believe it would work but it did!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! – do it for the full 30 seconds though. SO worth it!!!

• 17. SparkyUK  |  November 30th, 2008 at 6:34 pm

Perfect fix, many thanks.

• 18. ollie hoff  |  December 4th, 2008 at 1:37 am

i love you! for ages now scrolling down didnt work, so much more easier now it works again! thanks alot!

• 19. mark  |  December 10th, 2008 at 12:44 am

awesome, thanks man,

• 20. Paul Eddison  |  December 12th, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Amazing, totally amazing!!!

I was messing around with settings for ages, it never occurred to me that it was a hardware problem.

Seems like a design flaw on the mighty mouse, as mine is only 3 months old, or maybe I have very dirty fingers!

• 21. Lloyd Arkell  |  December 13th, 2008 at 11:43 am

Fantastic – my mouse stopped working last night and is out of warranty now, grabbed some paper and its working again.

Thanks.

• 22. Steve M  |  December 29th, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Amazing, worked great. One of the more useful tips I’ve benefitted from recently, thanks!

• 23. Jackson Heat  |  January 6th, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I can’t believe that this actually worked. I’ve been scrolling up and down this page in blissful joy!!!

Thanks for the tip chum!!

• 24. adam johnston  |  January 8th, 2009 at 7:32 pm

who ever found this out deserves a medal cheers !!

• 25. mobsite  |  January 9th, 2009 at 5:07 am

i love it when brute force still wins over complicated electronics! thank you very much!

• 26. David Fletcher  |  January 13th, 2009 at 11:34 am

Yes – it worked! Thanks for posting this information.

• 27. Patrick Peralta  |  January 14th, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Worked for me as well, thanks for the tip!

• 28. TW  |  January 16th, 2009 at 12:31 am

• 29. Dennis M  |  January 24th, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Thanks a lot. Your suggestion fixed my problem in 15 sec!

• 30. Margaret  |  January 29th, 2009 at 6:36 am

Found this especially helpful as I often use the Control Zoom feature and was very frustrated when unable to Zoom out again. Thanks!

• 31. tedivm  |  February 7th, 2009 at 5:49 am

This worked for me, the first few times. Eventually the mouse just died though. Then I bought a new one, and it did the same.

Eventually I gave up and got a mouse with a real scroll wheel. Much less frustrating.

• 32. Tasha  |  February 7th, 2009 at 9:59 am

I love you, man! This worked perfectly.

• 33. James Baker  |  February 7th, 2009 at 10:11 am

Wow – this is amazing. My mighty mouse has been broken for well over a year now. I’d tried all the methods I could find and had finally given up, but this worked like a charm!

Thanks.

• 34. James Gardner  |  February 7th, 2009 at 5:57 pm

I’m on my 6th or 7th replacement Mighty Mouse, under the AppleCare warrantee for my iMac.

The fix you mention works great the first time around, then it simply stops having any effect.

After the 4th replacement Apple offered as a good will gesture to replace my standard wired mouse with a BlueTooth, but other than that they have yet to concede there is a design flaw with the unit.

Because they did not require me to send the last wired mouse back, I took it apart and saw the fault close up. The sensor which ‘counts’ the rotation of the ball as it rolls past, in what looks like an original, if miniaturised Doug Engelbart mechanism, gets clogged up with tiny particles of dead skin, which are oily and surprisingly adhesive.

The much needed update to the mouse design should probably include something of what Apple have developed for the MacBook trackpad and iPhone, but there’s no hint from them if repeat return customers, like myself, will receive a zero moving parts redesigned mouse complimentary, under AppleCare, or if this will be a paid upgrade.

• 35. Justin  |  February 7th, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Another approach to fixing this: wet the tip of your finger with water and roll the ball around a bit.

The reason this happens is that the internal mechanism gets dirt/grime/whatever on it and no longer rolls smoothly. The same thing used to happen with old mice (before optical mice) that had a ball in the bottom.

• 36. Darren  |  February 9th, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Love It!!!

• 37. Lozil  |  February 10th, 2009 at 9:58 am

Rocking man… This Just works…. :)

• 38. Emily  |  February 24th, 2009 at 5:11 pm

LEGEND! Cant believe i’ve put up with a clogged up mouse for 6 months, was about to buy a new one but stumbled across this and now my mouse scrolls again!! Amazing!!

• 39. Egon Raamat  |  March 3rd, 2009 at 10:29 pm

thx mate… that worked for me..

• 40. Bryan Carter  |  March 9th, 2009 at 3:52 am

Many thanks – cured a bad case of frustration!

• 41. Shad  |  March 11th, 2009 at 6:52 pm

WOW!!! It actually worked! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! …I was mad!!! Now I am happy! :)

• 42. nick  |  March 17th, 2009 at 12:34 am

thank you. this is the second one of these ive had a problem with. brilliant.

• 43. Dave  |  March 22nd, 2009 at 1:32 am

HA! The last time I had this problem (with a usb mighty mouse) I took the thing apart. Really interesting but not quite as quick as this little beauty of a solution. FANTASTIC!

• 44. Paul  |  March 24th, 2009 at 3:26 am

That is so good-worked first time

• 45. Eva  |  April 1st, 2009 at 1:39 am

It really Works!!!!!!!!!
      Thank you so much!!!!!!!

• 46. Michael  |  April 6th, 2009 at 6:24 am

Glad I found this. Happened a few times before with my wireless mighty mouse, rebooting used to fix it but this does just as well. Strange!

• 47. John  |  April 7th, 2009 at 8:30 pm

This did not work at first. I put a dab of isopropyl alcohol on the wheel and then did the described procedure and it worked fine. alcohol will eventually dry out the rubber but my mouse now works until i get apple to get me a new one.

• 48. Luis  |  April 11th, 2009 at 3:14 am

On my mind was “awwww I have to get this mouse to the apple warranty and It’s just being with me for 4 months” But your indications really worked for me, thanks!!!!!

• 49. Mike  |  April 28th, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Only works so many times, but when it gets really caked up you’re kinda screwed

• 50. Andre  |  April 30th, 2009 at 5:12 pm

It works perfectly.
      Thanks a lot

• 51. Nick  |  May 1st, 2009 at 4:15 am

Wow! So simple and yet so effective – I was sure mine was a goner – this totally fixed my problem – My wife is going to very happy about this! Her disappointment when it started skipping and finally died was very sad.

• 52. Oliver Weber  |  May 3rd, 2009 at 5:33 pm

The nice thing is that my mouse is new and did also not work. After the treatment it works perfect!

Thanks!!

• 53. Andrés  |  May 8th, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Great!!! No need to open it!!! Thanks

• 54. Sonja Mohr  |  May 11th, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Awesome! Thanks SO much – worked like a charm.

• 55. Mr. International  |  May 11th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Worked for me! This was a lot better then taking the whole thing apart as mentioned in previous sites.

• 56. G C  |  May 14th, 2009 at 6:59 pm

WORKED GREAT FIXED IN 30 SECS JUST LIKE YA SAID.

• 57. benj  |  May 17th, 2009 at 4:22 am

oh my god!!! i think it works better than when it was new!!! thanks!!

• 58. Lisa Reinke  |  May 22nd, 2009 at 8:17 am

Thank you!

• 59. Glenn Van Bogaert  |  May 24th, 2009 at 7:29 am

It’s just amazing. I would just send it to my apple reseller center, but it isn’t nessesary.

• 60. mimmo  |  June 2nd, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Simple! Great! thanks

• 61. Frank  |  June 6th, 2009 at 11:41 am

Many thanks!! It worked for me ;)

• 62. Mehmet  |  June 8th, 2009 at 2:06 pm

you saved my time. thanks for the tip bro

• 63. Chris  |  June 23rd, 2009 at 2:13 pm

best tip EVER!! thank you so much :D

• 64. J Jones  |  July 2nd, 2009 at 2:39 am

When you work all day on your Mac and glitch pops up, it’s so frustrating, especially when it is your mouse.

I’m so glad I found your blog. Fixed in seconds. Who’d a thunk’ it.

• 65. Fab  |  July 16th, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Pheww! Saved me some time, money and effort. Cheers Man !

• 66. rjuno65  |  August 5th, 2009 at 5:15 am

Count another fix! Really thought I’d have to open it as I continued doing this for way more than 30 secs and still nothing… Keep at it if it doesn’t work after a while!! This mouse had been scroll dead downwards for at least 10-12 months Humongous thanks!

• 67. renee  |  August 9th, 2009 at 4:34 am

Hey – thanks so much, here I thought I would have to drive all the way across town to the Apple store to get my mouse fixed …. thanks so much for posting and sharing this tip with all of us!!!!

• 68. Dan  |  August 10th, 2009 at 10:01 am

Worked a treat for me, just as I was going to buy another one. Interestingly, the rubbing just brought out loads of gunk onto the paper. Give it a try!

• 69. phil  |  August 12th, 2009 at 11:54 am

Magic!

But why do Apple continue to manufacture this product without modification considering it’s nearly two years since the tip was posted? WAKE UP APPLE.

• 70. Janine  |  August 18th, 2009 at 3:21 am

Thank you!! Great tip. I agree…wake up apple. Why keep making a dodgy product?

• 71. Autumn  |  August 19th, 2009 at 1:31 am

YES! Thanks a ton!

• 72. Josh  |  September 30th, 2009 at 4:49 am

Thanks, another mouse working. @apple…put some of your smart people on the peripherals as well as the main projects.

• 73. Ben Anderson  |  October 22nd, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I just tried this on the cardboard back of my notepad. It fixed it instantly (and caused loads of people in the library to look at me funny). I have a broken mighty mouse at home for my iMac, I’m gonna try this with it and see if it does the trick :)

• 74. Glenn Campbell  |  October 28th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Thanks, was about to open it up and if that failed go buy another but that option was a no go as I saw the ad for the new Mighty Mouse that is to be released so figured I’d be stuck with my dead mouse until then but my mouse worked after about 5 seconds rubbing but then started to intermittently work but after doing it for 30 seconds it’s like new. I noticed gunk coming out the mouse onto the paper ( A bank statement envelope! ). Thanks.

• 75. Fradge  |  December 20th, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Brilliant! 0 I dropped my mighty mouse and thought that’s it I will have to get another. I went to Google, put in Apple Mighty Mouse Faults and spotted your post. I carried out the procedure you outlined you witnessed in the shop and it’s worked! – thanks ever so much that’s saved trip to the apple Store 4 days before Xmas with all the crowds!

• 76. Gonzalo  |  January 9th, 2010 at 7:14 am

Great tip! Thanks!!!

• 77. Mandy Daykin  |  January 29th, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Thanks for that great tip it works great now.

• 78. dave Wright  |  February 13th, 2010 at 4:11 pm

brilliant tip dude, thanks for the share, worked a treat!

• 79. Dan  |  February 14th, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Cheers, mate :) I was going to try for a replacement, but this worked brilliantly.

• 80. Jason S.  |  February 24th, 2010 at 7:40 am

I seriously love you dude.

• 81. Paul  |  April 19th, 2010 at 9:22 am

Great – thanks for passing this on

• 82. derek adams  |  May 1st, 2010 at 9:16 am

Brilliant. WHY DOESN’T APPLE TELL THIS?

thanks for the tip

• 83. Dirk  |  June 7th, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Thanks mate. For one year I stopped using the scroll-wheel. Now I use it again – thanks to you!

Great post!

• 84. Firas  |  September 21st, 2010 at 2:55 am

oh wow this actually worked

• 85. Roland  |  October 12th, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Thanks. Hope I can help you in the future.

• 86. Keith  |  November 21st, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Ask what you will even unto half my kingdom ! I was just about to put a final bid on a new mouse on ebay and googled this site while watching the clock.
      One minute later… mouse repaired there and then !

• 87. Henk  |  January 21st, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Thanks !! How is it possible that such a problem is fixed in such an easy way !!

• 88. Jacobite  |  June 4th, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Magic, I have had this problem for years and tried all different methods.
      This is the perfect solution.

Mega Thanks

• 89. Mike  |  August 20th, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Worked a treat! Saved me a trip to the Apple Store.

• 90. Ken Fukami  |  October 15th, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Well, it took me 5 minutes and just before I give up IT WORKED!!! Great tip, amazing. Many thanks!!!

• 91. neil  |  December 10th, 2011 at 1:55 am

Thanks worked perfect after few seconds for me aswell, by far the easiest fix for anything ive seen lol

• 92. jmrowland  |  January 11th, 2012 at 10:46 pm

It worked!

• 93. Kourosh Lachini  |  February 2nd, 2012 at 10:43 am

Great! Thanks for sharing. It worked like others’!

• 94. Jay  |  April 21st, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Worked a treat – great easy fix, thanks.